In 1869, Josephine Bowes laid the foundation stone of the grand house destined to be both a home for her and her husband, John, and a place for them to house the large collection of artworks they intended to share with the people of Teesdale, County Durham.
Sadly, neither John nor Josephine Bowes lived to see the accomplishment of their project. The Bowes Museum was still opened to the public on 10th June 1892, but some areas of the building remained incomplete. Josephine’s ballroom never saw the grand parties it was intended for. Over the years, its bare plaster walls saw the caretakers’ children play and grow before being annexed as a temporary storage space for the collection.
In 2008, the neglected roof was restored and works began to turn the ballroom into a new archive for paintings, prints and books, with carefully designed new floor levels and a warren of dedicated spaces, innovatively structured to sit within the unusual, original building structure.
The images are of a space in transition; an unfulfilled dream about to find new life, but tinged with the stillness and sadness of what might have once been.
EXHIBITION VENUE: The North Lawn, St Peter’s Church, York Place, Brighton BN1 4GU
EXHIBITION DATES: 6th October – 18th November 2012
OPENING EVENT: TBC
Richard Glynn first exhibited an extract of ‘Lost Waltz’ in ‘Sight Unseen‘, the 2009 University of Sunderland MA Photography Degree Show at Northern Gallery for Contemporary Art, 12/11/2009 – 09/01/2010.